· , leading to excessive heat loss or gain and high energy bills. Consult a professional to determine if more insulation should be added.
· , which can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning, in addition to posing a fire hazard. A certified chimney sweep should be hired to routinely clean your chimney to prevent build-up.
· , which can cause leaks and lead to extensive damage to the surrounding walls. You can determine if there’s insufficient grout by checking between tiled enclosures for voids. Caulk integrity can be determined by gently pressing and checking for any sponginess, a sign of weakened integrity.
· In fact, a seat that rocks could indicate that the seal at the base has failed, which can allow water to leak to the floor below, causing significant damage. If the seat feels loose, have the toilet inspected by a professional—and have the seal replaced if necessary.
· To prevent problems from overloaded outlets, consult a certified electrician to install additional outlets to handle the increased load.
· Make sure to keep vegetation in control by keeping plants neat and trim.
· , causing water to enter the basement. Redirect these downspouts away from the structure.
· Check filters for built-up grease, and consult a professional to check the connections to determine if the model needs exterior exhaust.
· , leading to water damage in cabinets below. Visually examine seals and test them to see if they feel loose. If so, repair or replace them immediately.
· When purchasing a home, consult a professional home inspector to determine both the age and condition of the roof. Failure to do so may result in a significant amount of expensive damage to the home.